A grow tent is a fabric box lined with light and heat reflective material and equipped with light and ventilation.
This ingenious device makes it possible to grow all kinds of plants indoors year round. With outdoor gardening, you are at the mercy of the weather.
When you use a grow tent you have absolute control over your growing environment because you can enhance it through the use of:
With indoor grow tents, your success with all types of plants in every season is only limited by your growing practices and abilities. No matter what the weather outdoors, with the right tent setup, a little practice and experience, you can grow fruits, veggies, flowers and herbs indoors any time of year.
This goes beyond using merely growing under lights. These “grow rooms” are a complete system.
You may also hear of these plant enclosures referred to as “grow closets”, “grow rooms” or “plant bays.” The terminology usually describes variations of size tents and the shape.
These grow tent kits have become popular as more people want to grow and harvest.
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of using a plant growth enclosure, outline the various options available and make some sound recommendations to help you choose just the right plant environment to suit your needs.
Are Grow Tents Worth The Expense?
These days, with excessive heat being problematic in many parts of the world, the ability to protect your plants against scorching sun and record high temperatures can mean the difference between growing a successful home garden and squandering your time and money with nothing to show for it.
Even though your grow tent can represent a significant initial investment, it can save you money in the long run. This is because it costs less to provide water, nutrients, and light to your plants with a grow tent.
Because of the reflective mylar interior coating, your return on your investment in lighting is multiplied many times over. Plants receive life and health giving light from every angle for exactly the right amount of time every day.
Because you completely control the growing environment, you will not experience water waste caused by excessive sun and the wind. You will not lose supplements to runoff caused by rain and flooding.
What Can You Grow?
The best grow tents can be turned into the perfect environment for any crop. Your only limitation is if you plan to grow more than one type of plant, you should create a collection of plants with similar needs in terms of light, temperature, and humidity. Many growers produce only one crop in their grow room.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Grow Tent?
1. Boosts photosynthesis: The reflective mylar interior “walls” of a grow tent ensures your plants get plenty of high-quality light from every angle without light leaks. This eliminates problems with yellowing lower leaves and/or weak and failing stems and branches that do not face a light source. Every surface of every plant will receive generous exposure to light. The tents are “light proof” or “light tight” so you control the light intensity and exposure your plants receive.
2. Controlled environment: With a grow tent; you have complete control over the temperature and humidity levels so you can focus on establishing the perfect growing conditions for any plant you desire.
3. Save money: It is far less costly to control climate and ventilation in a small grow tent than in an entire room.
4. Odor control: When applying liquid plant fertilizers or chemicals to your plants, you will not need to worry about odors affecting your indoor air quality. They will remain confined to the grow tent.
5. Control noise: The best quality tents will actually muffle sound.
If you subscribe to the theory that music, white noise or other sounds are conducive to successful plant growth, you can provide this ambiance for your plants and prevent having these sounds enter your living environment if you purchase a high quality grow tent with sound buffering capabilities.
Conversely, if you have a noisy household, your plants will not be disturbed by your chaotic environment.